This Cozy Pumpkin Pot Pie is perfect for your fall comfort food cravings. It's light, flavourful and warms the soul. This dish is decadent enough to serve at your next pot luck or family gathering.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie Vegetable Filling
1 medium sugar/sweet pumpkin, peeled, cubed, roasted
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium sweet onion
3 large carrots
4 - 6 celery stalks
4 cups vegetable stock
1 can of Cannellini beans
Generous pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp, crushed rosemary
Olive oil for sautéing
Ingredients for the Roux
2 tablespoons flour
Vegetable stock from the filling
Ingredients for Crust
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 Cup of butter
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 egg for egg wash (optional)
Directions for Pumpkin Pot Pie
- Wash, peel, chop and roast the sugar (or other sweet) pumpkin at 350 F for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the rest of the ingredients; garlic, onions, carrots and celery on medium heat with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable stock
- Simmer on low until your roux is ready
Make a roux:
- Melt the butter
- Add two tablespoons of flour, one at a time, until toasty and fragrant
- Add the stock – one ladle full at a time.
- Mix roux in with remaining filling ingredients.
Make the Crust:
- Combine all ingredients for the crust with your hands or stand mixer.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface in the shape of your oven-proof dish.
Put it All Together:
- Place filling in dish(s). Use 1, 9 x 13 or round dish, or 6-8 individual oven proof dishes. Don’t fill to the brim – you don’t want the good stuff to run over!
- Place crust on top of the dish and pinch edges around the rim.
- For a shiny looking crust, brush an egg wash over the pie before baking.
- Bake for 35 minutes on 375 F.
- If the crust doesn't seem to want to come together – add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water.
- You could swap the rosemary for a curry spice to create a completely different experience 🙂