Amazing Moroccan Stew is.....amazing! It is without a doubt my favourite recipe : )
With a healthy dose of veggies, protein and complex carbs, this stew is easy to serve to the health conscious people in your life but it is also a big hit with the fussy people in your life. I have only heard of one person in over 10 years who did not care for it. The exotic flavours in this amazing stew make it great as a mid week meal for your family as well as for entertaining.
The stew is made in one pot so it is easy and quick to put together. We make a very large batch, so we have lots of leftovers making tomorrow night's meal easy with plenty left over for lunch too. I love the flexibility with the ingredients of Moroccan food. If I don't have carrots, I might throw in some cauliflower. Cauliflower tastes great with the seasonings of curry and cumin. Play with the ingredients and make it your own. I hope you will enjoy this meal as much as we do : )
2 tsp Olive oil
1 Cup Onions, chopped
½ cup Celery
½ cup Sweet pepper
2 clove Garlic
4 cups Vegetable/chicken broth
2 cups Sweet potatoes- cubed
1 can Canned, frozen or fresh, diced, tomatoes
1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed (low sodium)
1 T. Lemon juice
2 tsp Ginger root, grated
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp Ground coriander
1 tsp Chili powder
½ tsp Salt & pepper
¼ cup Raisins
2 T. Peanut butter
½ Cup Chopped fresh cilantro(optional)
- Heat olive oil.
- Sauté onions, celery, peppers and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables are softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except raisins, peanut butter and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or more. More flavours come out the longer you cook it.
- Stir in raisins, peanut butter and cilantro just before serving.
- Simmer for 5 minutes more. Serve hot.
* Always feel free to add, delete, or replace ingredients to suit your tastes