Moroccan Salad Bowl with Chickpea and Quinoa is more than a salad, its a meal. Impress your friends and family with this gluten free and vegetarian dish as a main meal or side dish. It is delicious, low calorie and can be made order. Make it as a plant based meal or just add chicken, fish or tofu. This salad bowl combines quinoa, spiced chickpeas, dried fruit, pistachios, feta cheese, and vegetables to make it a complete meal loaded in nutritional value. All of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time making it a great make ahead dish for easy meal prep too!
The great thing about this salad is how little it took to prepare. And if you have a variety of leftovers in your house, it’s even better! Swap out any of the ingredients to use what you have on hand.
A la carte would also be a great way to serve this delicious gluten free Moroccan Salad Bowl. Put all the ingredients: greens, quinoa, chickpeas, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, figs, feta and pistachios all in separate bowls and have everyone create their own bowl. Let's get prepped for dinner : )
Moroccan Salad Bowl with Chickpea and Quinoa
yeild 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups chickpeas (canned/drained chickpeas)
- Pinch or two of ground turmeric, pepper, ginger & coriander
- 4–6 cups leafy spring greens and romaine lettuce
- 1 roasted carrot
- 1 head roasted cauliflower
- 1 roasted red onion
- 12 roasted Brussels sprouts
- 16 roasted cherry tomatoes
- 8 figs (dried or fresh) or pitted dated (sliced or diced)
- 1 cup pistachios
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
Dressing and garnishes:
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Lemon + splash of juice
- 2-4 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin,
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c chopped parsley leaves (fresh)
- Optional 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- First, prepare your quinoa according to package.
- Once cooked, fluff with fork and set aside.
- Rinse and mix chickpeas, roasted vegetables and figs/dates together with a pinch or two of turmeric, ginger, and pepper.
- Whisk together honey, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, and remaining dressing spices.
- Place the greens in individual bowls/plates.
- Place a scoop of the quinoa on top of the greens
- Place a layer of the chickpea and vegetable mixture on top of the quinoa
- Top with feta, pistachios and chopped parsley or cilantro
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Add a splash of lemon and lemon slices to garnish.
- Serve immediately or cover and place in fridge for up to 2 days.
- For longer storage or meal prep, keep the dressing separate until ready to serve.
- Optional protein to toss in or layer on top of salad – grilled chicken, prosciutto, salmon, seared lamb, tofu
Recipe Adapted from Lindsay Cotter, CotterCrunch.com
Click on the following link for a warm version of this salad bowl served as Moroccan Stew