This Mexican quinoa skillet dinner is vegetarian, gluten free and delicious! It's made in one pan and be made with all fresh ingredients or use your leftovers! Makes a quick dinner or appetizer. Makes 4 servings
INGREDIENTS FOR MEXICAN QUINOA DINNER:
2 tsp oil
1 medium, peeled and chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup cooked or previously frozen corn
1 bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup vegetable stock
Sea Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup salsa or taco sauce
1 cup shredded cheese
Optional: jalapenos (sliced)
Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
For serving – add tortilla chips, avocado and/or sour cream
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEXICAN QUINOA DINNER:
- Heat a large oven safe skillet on medium to medium high. Add 1 tbsp oil and Sauté the onion on medium high heat until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic during the final minute of cook time.
- Optional: stir in ground beef unless its plant based
- Next, stir in the corn and veggies and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
- Optional: Stir in plant based protein
- Mix in the cooked quinoa, broth, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Stir in the taco sauce or salsa, cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until spices and sauces are absorbed and veggies are cooked.
- Lastly, add your optional shredded cheese and mix together.
- Cook on medium low heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- For extra crispy cheesy, add more cheese on top and place under broiler in oven for 1 minute.
- Top with cilantro to garnish.
- Serve with tortilla chips and avocado or sour cream if desired. Enjoy!
Having FUN, getting FIT, that’s Nancy’s goal for you at Forever Fit! Fitness Training with Nancy McNeil at Forever Fit means finding activities that you enjoy so she can help you meet your fitness goals. You don't have to be an athlete to get, or to be, fit. Nancy will help you find a workout that fits in with your goals and fitness abilities. There are a wide range of opportunities available at Forever Fit Studio. Click on either link, Classes or Schedule, for more inspiration. “Hope to see you soon!”