These tasty little Mexican Infused Falafel Balls are easy to prepare, loaded with nutritious vegetables, protein, fiber and iron. Make them spicy... or not, depending on how many jalapeno seeds you add. Perfect for snacks, a buddha bowl for lunch or as and appetizer to impress your friends and still eat healthy.
This Mexican Falafel Ball recipe was adapted from author, Lindsay Cotter. She is a nutrition specialist (aka, self proclaimed Nerd) with a focus on Gluten Free eating. She has a website with amazing recipes that often inspire me.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield 12 - 16 ball
1 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned works, drained)
2 cups Broccoli florets and/or Cauliflower
1/2 cup chopped red onion or 1 shallot
1 jalapeño – diced (de-seed if you don’t want spicy)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
3 tbsp tapioca flour or 3-4 tbsp gluten free flour
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
sea salt/black pepper to taste
2–4 tbsp oil
Dip or salsa for serving
- First drain chickpeas and rinse. Set aside.
- Next grind broccoli/cauliflower so that it is “riced.” Makes about 1 to 1.5 cups riced after placed in food processor or blender.
- Add chickpeas to the food processor. Pulse together until combined. Do not over mix. You want the batter to be thick and chunky.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, and spices in the food processor or blender and pulse until combined. Note – if you don’t have a large food processor, you might want to work in batches blending the ingredients.
- Next add the flour and flaxseed meal and pulse again until combined. Pour batter into bowl and mix again making sure everything is combined.
- Roll the batter into balls a little bigger than golf ball size .
- Place falafel balls on a cookie sheet and chill in the fridge for 1 hr or freezer for 10 -15 minutes to set. The longer the better if using the fridge.
FALAFEL BALLS COOKING DIRECTIONS:
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Place on a greased pan or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, on centre rack, turning once halfway through baking. Bites will be golden brown once done.
- Season with more salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve right away or freeze for later.