Mexican Black Bean Burgers are amazing!
Brad and I are loving these burgers : ) The taste is great! The texture is just llike a beef burger but there is less fat, more fiber, no animal products and yet lots of protein. The Mexican Black Bean Burgers are easy to assemble and relatively inexpensive, especially if you soak your own beans. Just cover them in water and leave overnight. Rins and cook in fresh water with salt and, voila! They are ready to use. We have started soaking more than we need, then freezing the leftovers to have on hand. Brad loads them up on a bun but I like them plain with salsa and guacamole. They are very filling which means we are less likely to snack before bed. Add a side of grilled veggies and you have a complete meal. Oh, and they make about 5 burgers, depending on how big you want them so you may not have to cook tomorrow night ; ) Serve them at your next Mexican night!
Black Bean Patties
½ cup oats
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp taco seasoning
⅛ cup coconut aminos barbeque sauce
½ cup cooked quinoa
1 cup black beans (approximately 1 can)
1 avocado slices or guacamole
¼ red onion, sliced
1 Tbs salsa
1 handful of lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the oats, taco seasoning and chia seed to a food processor and whiz until it forms a flour consistency.
- Add bbq sauce to the food processor and whiz until combined.
- Add the quinoa to the food processor and pulse until just combined.
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Mash the beans in a bowl.
- Add the contents from the food processor to the mashed beans and combine
- Shape the bean mixture into patties, place onto baking tray.
- Bake10-15 minutes or when the edges of the patties have become crisp, flip each pattie. or fry them in a pan.
Burger Preparation : )
- Slice and grill burger buns.
- Slice avocado
- Slice red onion
- Prepare homemade fresh salsa or pull out the store bought salsa
- When the patties are cooked, remove from oven to serve.
- Assemble burgers as desired.
Adapted from: Anthea