Mac ‘n Cheese is everyone’s favourite, right? Nope, not mine. But… I do love veggies, especially cauliflower. I also love cheese and spices, especially cumin. So this healthy version of Mac n Cheese, loaded with veggies, cheese and spices, makes this one of my faves : ) It also makes a very large dish so there is plenty for a large crowd or leftovers for the week. BTW we added a vegan sausage, mmm : ) That bumps up the protein for me and adds a little more flavour. What do you think?
Healthy Mac & Cheese
To make this mac and cheese vegan, just swap out the cheese with vegan cheese and nutritional yeast.
1 large head cauliflower, chopped
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
1 cup milk +/-
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
3 -4 crumbled crackers
1-2 tbsp parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
Salt/pepper to taste
Sprinkle of cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly roast cauliflower for 10-15 minutes, still firm.
- In a small pan over medium heat, saute onion and crushed garlic until soft and golden.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in sauce pan.
- Add spices and flour to make a roux.
- Add vegetable broth and milk, whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer cauliflower, onion, garlic and sauce into a large bowl and mix well until the cauliflower is fully coated in sauce.
- Add cheese and mix again.
- Spread evenly in a baking dish.
- Mix together the crumble ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the cauliflower. Add a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 45 -55 minutes or until crumble is nice and brown.