Healthy, Bean Burrito in a Bowl is a fun, easy way to make a healthy meal. This Healthy Bean Burrito in a Bowl is Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free and soy-free so it is easy to serve for a variety of dietary needs. The combination of beans and rice creates a complete protein with all the amino acids which help to balance the blood sugars for better digestion and reduction of fat storage. The recipe lends itself to creating larger portions to keep in the fridge for your next meal or for your kids to come home and put together dinner or a snack. Bean Burrito is versatile as you could also roll it up in a tortilla wrap to make a traditional bean burrito. This would make it easy for you to pack to work or eat on the go. This recipe was adapted from a cook book called; Super Fresh: Super Natural, Super Vibrant Vegan Recipes by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal
Yield 4 servings
Bean Burrito Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked rice or quinoa
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped, parsley if you prefer
4 cups shredded kale(massaged in olive oil and sea salt), Cabbage or romaine lettuce
Black Beans filling
2 tablespoons refined coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced sweet onion
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
3 diced fresh tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp fine sea salt, or to taste
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 small red &/or green bell pepper, chopped
1(14-ounce)can or 2 cups black beans, drained & rinsed
For the Avocado-Lime Sauce
2-3 large garlic cloves
2 large avocado, pitted
Juice of 1 fresh lime, more to create the desired consistency
2 – 4 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
Salsa, as desired. See fresh salsa recipe on my website
Avocado Lime Sauce
Grated cheese ( if desired)
Bean Burrito Directions:
- Follow the package directions to cook the rice.
Meanwhile, prepare the Black Bean Mixture. In a large wok or skillet, add the oil and melt it over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and bell peppers and sauté for about 5 to 6 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, chili powder, dried oregano, cayenne (if using) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Continue sautéing for another 3 to 5 minutes until the tomato softens.
- Add the crushed tomatoes
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add to pan. Cook for a few more minutes until heated throughout.
- Set the mixture over low heat or turn off until ready to serve.
- For the Avocado-Lime Sauce: Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or magic bullet and blend until smooth. Adjust salt to taste. Adjust water to desired consistency.
- When the rice is ready, stir in cilantro and divide the rice between bowls.
- Top each with a couple scoops of the hot black bean mixture, and a large spoonful of the salsa and the Avocado-Lime Sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro, olives and cheese.
- Serve immediately.