Clean Eating Fajita Soup
Clean Eating Fajita Steak Soup
Warming things up for fall. Fajita steak soup - is a Mexican-inspired soup that’s easy, delicious aaand loaded in nutrition! It is a balanced meal in itself because there is a good amount of protein, low carbohydrate option and loads of veggies. Low fat, no sugar, home prepared real food.
As with all the recipes I share with you, there is lots of room to make it your own. For example, you could use cauliflower rice in lieu of real rice. Don't like spicy, leave out the jalapenos.
If you have an insta-pot you can use that for a really quick meal or just use a pot on the stove top.
If you don't eat meat, use a plant based meet. We use plant based meet from the Very Good Butcher. You can buy some of their products around town but we just order on line. It arrives at your front door, in a box with compostable packing and ice packs. If you order on line, be sure to sign up for the "honey" App. We saved $50. twice! The steak is a great flavour and you don't have to cook it ahead of time the texture is better. BTW the Ribz are awesome! They would work in this recipe too : )
This quick, healthy soup is more like a meal. It is healthy but it will feel like you are cheating. Enjoy : )
- 12 ounce sirloin steak or plant based steak
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 3 cloves
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup thick chunky salsa
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chili or canned diced tomatoes with Mexican spices of your choice.
- Green chillies ( if you can't find the can of tomatoes with the green chillies in it)
- 3 cups cauliflower rice (1 small head with stem removed)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 - 6 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1 bunch fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, sliced.
- avocado slices
- Trim excess fat from steaks. Set aside. No need if using plant based steak.
- Place instant pot on sauté setting. Place the steak, garlic, and oil in the instant pot.
- Brown meat with garlic and oil on sauté mode for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from instant pot and let the steak rest for 2 minutes. Slice meat into pieces.
- Place the meat back in the instant pot, and add in the remaining ingredients; salsa, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper, and broth. Mix until combined. Then, place the lid back on the instant pot.
- Press Manual mode pressure cook.
- Cook for 12 -15 min. 15 minutes for thick steak and 12 for thinner steak. Set to slow release for 5 minutes, then quick release. (Quick release works just as well just be sure to keep it on warm mode after pressure is released.) For plant based food you just need to cook to warm it up and meld the flavours.
- Stir ingredients in the instant pot. Adjust seasonings, if desired, while the soup is still warm.
- Serve hot and garnish with torn fresh cilantro, jalapeño slices and avocado slices
STOVE TOP OPTION
- Heat a large stock pot to medium. Add steak meat (or stew meat) and brown with oil and garlic. Slice meat once browned and rested for 1-2 minutes. If using stew meat, skip the resting.
- Add the vegetables to the pot, sauté for 2 minutes on medium. Add the sliced steak meat back into the pot along with salsa, tomatoes, spices, and broth. Mix together.
- Cover with lid and set to medium-low for 30 – 35 min or until meat and vegetables are cooked seasoned well with the broth. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, jalapeño, avocado
This soup does freeze well.