Come to strength and stability sessions on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. The class schedule will be dependent on the number of participants interested. Call Nancy on 250-510-0595 to register.
Who should attend Strength and Stability?
- All those who want to have fun while improving their strength, stability, flexibility, balance and posture
- From a variety of fitness levels
- Male or female participants
- Those who want to increase, preserve or restore their quality of life
- May need a doctor’s permission or prescription to exercise
What Is the focus of Strength and Stability sessions?
Strength and Stability for people over 50 is an ongoing series of classes focusing on:
- Stretch and release techniques to increase your flexibility for greater range of motion
- Strength to build and maintain ability for functional activities such as walking, getting in and out of chairs, climbing stairs
- Core strength for greater balance, stability and posture.
- Activities using, balls, tubes, bands, body weight
- Learn home-based fitness activities so you can work out at home too
Why is Strength and Stability important?
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, evidence is growing concerning the benefits of exercise in reducing the risk of falls and related injuries. Studies confirm that exercise can improve balance, mobility and response time to moving objects and instability. Exercise can increase bone mineral density in postmenopausal women and in people aged 70 and over.
The Rand Report concluded exercise interventions reduced the risk of falls by 15% and the number of actual falls by 22%. This would include cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, flexibility and balance. A combined strength and endurance training program, three times a week for six months, reduced the risk of falling by nearly half, when compared with either strength or endurance training alone.
Counter age-related memory decline, high blood pressure, diabetes and stroke by improving lung function that feeds oxygen to the brain. Learning new skills and sequences also helps build new brain cells.
Cost of sessions?
$144 for 12 weeks/sessions
Email Nancy to register!