Chocolate … Coconut… melt in your mouth deliciousness : ) This recipe is soooo easy and sooooo delicious. They remind me of the mound bars, only better and better for you : ) I love recipes like this that I can create in a short amount of time with ingredients that are not only good tasting but good for my body… well as long as I behave and only eat 1 serving : / There are no processed sugars, only good fats providing you use a good quality coconut oil and a dark chocolate for the coating. The health experts claim that shredded coconut is high in protein and fibre. That is good for those of us who like our sweets because protien and fibre are two great ways to lower the glycemic index reducing the impact on our body fat : ) 1 cup of shredded coconut contains 2.68 grams of protein and 4.2 grams of fibre. 2.68 is not a lot of protein but a good addition to the rest of your meal but 4.2 grams of fibre is substantial : ) Shredded coconut also has a good amount of iron and zinc. Zinc is a mineral crucial to the strength and health of your immune system. So as you can see this is a great treat to have on hand for you and your guests. A treat with health benefits 🙂
1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tsp coconut oil
3 Tbs organic maple syrup
2 Tbls unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
organic dark chocolate for coating
- Place 1 cup shredded coconut and 3 tsp coconut oil into the bowl of a food processor. Process on high speed, scraping down the sides every once in a while, until it reaches a butter consistency.
- Add maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt, process on high speed until well combined.
- Add 3/4 cup additional shredded coconut and process on high speed until all ingredients are combined and formed a batter.
- Shape the coconut mixture into 1” balls
- Place on cookie sheet
- Allow the shaped coconut balls to firm up in the refrigerator.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl placed in a saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Dip the coconut balls into the melted chocolate and sprinkle them with the shredded coconut.
- Allow chocolates to harden by placing the coconut balls back into the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy : )