Mmmmm … I love this recipe. Blackened Fish Tacos include good quality ingredients, have lots of flavour but low impact on my caloric intake. I love cilantro but you could also use parsley or just eliminate it altogether.
Ingredients for the Blackened Fish Tacos:
1.5 lbs fish fillets
1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste– approx ½ teaspoon
½ teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Slaw:
½ red cabbage, sliced thin
¼ green cabbage, sliced thin
½ medium-sized onion, diced
½ cup cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
For the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce:
½ cup greek yogurt
1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded
Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle mixture over both sides of your fillets, rub in seasoning.
- Combine Avocado-Cilantro Sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender until well-combined.
- Combine all of the Slaw ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Heat oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add fillets.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.
- Remove the fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Break up the fish into 2-3″ pieces. Distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas, and top with Slaw and Avocado-Cilantro Sauce. Serve.
Blackening spices are very fragrant, so turn on your overhead fan while you cook the fish.