This is my favourite Vegetarian Chili recipe. We make it a lot in the winter because it is warm comfort food and makes a large batch for most of the week. We make it vegetarian style with or without a local made vegetarian sausage but I have made it with beef in the past. So good!
There is plenty of fibre from all the veggies, lots of protein in the beans and chickpeas, making this a well balanced meal. It's also better the second day making this an easy, delicious meal for a few days,depending on how many people you are feeding.
Change up any of the ingredients to include all your favourite veggies and protein. The "awesome" is in the spices, so add what you like.
VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPE:
1/2 C Celery, finely diced
1C Carrots, sliced
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 tsp Celery Seed
1tsp Ground Cumin
1T Chili Powder
1 28oz. Can Plum Tomatoes with juice
1L. Vegetable or Chicken Stock
2C Zucchini, cubed
1/2 C Frozen Corn Kernels
1 19oz. Can Kidney Beans
1 19oz Black Beans
- Heat oil in a large pot or heavy saucepan
- Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic
- Saute for 8-10 min. or until onions are clear
- Stir in celery seed, cayenne, cumin, chili powder
- Saute until well combined and you can smell the seasoning
- Add tomatoes, stock, salt & pepper
- Cook 15 min. uncovered
- Add zucchini, corn, kidney beans, black beans
- Cover & cook at least 15 min. to heat up but longer is better.
- This is even better the next day 🙂
*Serves well with a yummy whole grain bun or bread but definitely don't need it. This s a very hearty meal. Enjoy : )
|Having FUN, getting FIT, that’s Nancy’s goal for you at Forever Fit! Fitness Training with Nancy McNeil at Forever Fit means finding activities that you enjoy so she can help you meet your fitness goals. You don't have to be an athlete to get, or to be, fit. Nancy will help you find a workout that fits in with your goals and fitness abilities. There are a wide range of opportunities available at Forever Fit Studio. Click on either link, Classes or Schedule, for more inspiration. “Hope to see you soon!”|