Lemon Grass and Coconut Curry Sauce with Creamy Tofu is another one of those go to recipes that makes a lot and tastes awesome. Awesome enough to eat all week or serve to your company. Once you chop up all the veggies you are almost done. This recipe makes a big batch so you can serve many people or have leftovers for the week : ) This is a Thai curry flavour with lemon grass, it is different than curry flavours from India.
I would say the lemon grass and thai flavour is lighter but equally delicious.
Other than the coconut milk this is a very light meal, low in calories. If you are watching your carbs or calories, go easy on the rice/quinoa and load up the veggies. The protein comes from the delicious crunchy almond slivers under the rice and the tofu. I’m not usually a big fan of tofu but in this dish, the medium tofu offers a nice creamy texture. Enjoy : )
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
LEMON GRASS CURRY INGREDIENTS
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Tablespoons (or more) Green Thai curry paste
A leek, thinly sliced, white and pale-green parts and dark-green parts divided
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1-inch piece peeled ginger, thinly sliced
6 Cups sliced, mixed vegetables; red/orange peppers, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower
2 lemongrass stalks, bottom third only, tough outer layer removed, bruised with the back of a knife or a rolling pin
2 cups (or more) vegetable stock
1 13½-ounce can light unsweetened coconut milk
1 pkg medium firm tofu cut into small cubes
2 sprigs basil (thai basil if you can find it)
1 tablespoon (or more) fish sauce
Steamed rice or quinoa (optional)
1/2 cup Almond slivers
Lime wedges for garnish
LEMON GRASS CURRY RECIPE PREPARATION
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp. curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add white and pale-green parts of leek, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook, stirring often, reduce heat if necessary to prevent browning, until softened, about 4 min.
- Increase heat to medium; add vegetables and lemongrass.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just beginning to soften, 5–10 minutes.
- Add broth and coconut milk (additional broth if needed to cover vegetables), bring to a simmer.
- Next add tofu, if desired, and basil sprigs; very gently simmer until tofu is warm through
- Add 1 Tbsp. fish sauce, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt or more fish sauce or curry paste for extra flavor and spice, if desired.
- Place a small amount of almond slivers in a bowl
- Add a desired amount of rice in the bowl on top of almonds
- Place veggies on top
- Garnish with basil leaves and lime wedges for squeezing over, if desired.
Recipe adapted from; The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen